History of Schuyler Hospital
Shepard Relief Hospital
Schuyler Hospital had an unusual beginning. It actually grew out of the old Shepard Niles Crane and Hoist Corporation’s first aid station. About 1920, the “first aid station” moved to a residence on Schuyler Street across from the plant and included an eight-bed ward with a supervisor and one nurse. The little hospital flourished, and by 1925, added three new positions, including an x-ray technician and a dietician.
During those early years, Ms. Eleanor Confer was in charge of the hospital. She managed the entire finances from a big leather pocketbook strung on her arm. The meager food budget was supplemented by fruits and vegetables that were donated by local farmers, and then canned and stored in the hospital’s kitchen.
In 1929, the Shepard Relief Hospital was chartered by the State Board of Charities. In 1934, an operating room, x-ray and four more rooms were added; in 1940 the maternity wing was added, and in 1951 the south wing and the new kitchen were both added. All previous wooden structures were removed. At the 34th annual meeting of the Shepard Relief Hospital Association in 1954, the hospital was renamed Schuyler Hospital to indicate that it was a community hospital. The year 1955 saw the addition of two private rooms and sun parlors, and the final addition in 1959 was a new x-ray department and operating suite. The bed capacity was 51.
A Hospital on the Hill
During the late 1950’s, and throughout the decade of the sixties, the need for a new and larger hospital became evident. By 1969, a new hospital had been designed and a fund raising campaign was held to raise enough money to build a new hospital on the hillside overlooking the villages of Montour Falls and Watkins Glen. In 1970, construction of a new 90-bed hospital and nursing home was undertaken on property generously donated by Ms. Belle Cornell.
In June of 1972, the construction was nearly complete. As final preparations were being made to open the new hospital, the Southern Tier was devastated by Hurricane Agnes and the flood of 1972. The disaster forced the evacuation of Elmira and Corning Hospitals, and thus the new Schuyler Hospital began to operate on July 14, 1972, amidst region-wide destruction of homes, factories, and lives. Never had the need for a new Schuyler Hospital been more keenly felt. At the opening ceremony, the Hospital was dedicated to Jane A. Delano, an outstanding war nurse of the American Red Cross and founder of the Red Cross Nursing Corps, who was born in Schuyler County.
Seneca View Skilled Nursing
The 1972 hospital building included a 40-bed long-term care unit. The need for skilled nursing in Schuyler County continued to grow, and once again, the hospital responded to community needs with the construction of two more 40-bed skilled nursing units. The new units were put into operation in late 1988. Today, the Hospital has "critical access" standing, and has 25 beds. Our adjacent skilled nursing facility - Seneca View - has 120 beds.
The Rollin O. Baker Medical Arts building, named after one of the first doctors to practice in this County, opened in 1975 as a primary care clinic and the private office practices of Drs. Norton and Tague. Other physicians continued to provide care after the retirement of the two senior doctors. Management changed hands along the years and in July of 1993, the hospital established the Primary Care Center (PCC). The PCC is a walk-in clinic staffed by hospital employed physicians and physician assistants. Several specialists in private practice offer weekly or monthly clinics in the PCC or September Hill. They include Cardiology, Ear/Nose and Throat, Pulmonology, and Gastroenterology.
A second Primary Care Center opened in 1995 in the village of Ovid, a medically underserved area located on the East shores of Seneca Lake, about 30 miles North of Montour Falls.
September Hill & Stork's Landing
September Hill Birth Center, the first freestanding rural birth center in New York State opened its doors in December 1993 as a direct response to community needs. It occupies the former September Hill Farm, of the Seymour Family, adjacent to the Montour Falls PCC and the hospital. The role of the Center was expanded to include all aspects of women’s preventative and curative medicine and was renamed September Hill Women’s Center in 2001, and birthing was moved to Stork's Landing in the Main Hospital. Unfortunately, after generations of babies being born at Schuyler Hospital, population changes resulted in a closure of Stork's Landing and inpatient births at Schuyler Hospital.
Schuyler Hospital continues to evolve - and in 2012, we formed a shared services affiliation with Cayuga Medical Center in nearby Ithaca. Shared services to date include the Cayuga-Schuyler Orthopedics Clinic at Schuyler Hospital, shared anesthesiology coverage, and one of our physicians assisting at Cayuga's Pain Clinic.
Today, Schuyler Hospital offers high quality medical services, a caring and compassionate staff of over 400, and newly updated equipment in many of our departments.
Schuyler Hospital Today
For almost 90 years, Schuyler Hospital has been a healthcare “security blanket” for the entire family. Our long tradition of combining personal care with advanced technology provides a level of comfort, trust, and security that leads to outstanding patient satisfaction ratings. At Schuyler Hospital, when we say “We’ve Got You Covered,” we’re referring to the wide range of medical services we provide to the community, to our highly skilled medical staff, and to our devotion to customer service. From birth through the final years of your life, Schuyler Hospital’s blanket of care will leave you feeling warm, comfortable, and secure.
While our main hospital campus is located in Montour Falls, we have evolved over the years into a network of providers, programs, and services that reaches throughout Schuyler County and into southern Yates and Seneca Counties to meet the healthcare needs of a population of over 32,000 residents.
To optimize the health and healing experience of all people we serve in a safe, compassionate, and respectful environment.
As a community led organization, we will be the healthcare provider of choice; delivering excellent, innovative services to meet the needs of the communities we serve.
- Integrity and Honesty
- We keep our word and treat everyone with mutual trust
- Quality and Accountability
- We accept responsibility for the trust placed in us
- Dignity and Respect
- We treat everyone with honor and compassion
- We align our energies and enhance patient/resident care by working together
- Continuous Learning
- We encourage and foster individual growth and learning